We are Committed to Making our Synagogue Environmentally Responsible
A committee has been working over the last few years on environmental sustainability assessments and projects for our synagogue and our community. Please join us in our efforts. We have accomplished a lot but need your help and input.
Join the Green Team and help promote environmental sustainability and engagement by:
- investigating the feasibility of and implementation of green projects
- incorporating environmental awareness in our educational programs and youth work
- measuring and reducing our carbon and environmental footprints
Accomplishments and Future Plans
- Sponsored two TE Talks on climate change issues
- Planted over 500 daffodils as part of TE’s Holocaust Remembrance Daffodil Project
- Planted trees at Brook Run Park in celebration of Tu B’Shevat
- Introduced the Jewish environmental tradition of Baal Tashchit (do not waste) to Sunday School kindergarteners and first graders
- Sponsored crayon recycling program and in 2022 recycled 29 pounds of crayons, keeping this petroleum based material out of the landfill and helped create 140 new packs of crayons for children in hospitals
- Completed an energy audit through Georgia Interfaith Power and Light (GIPL) and as a result upgraded our BAS system and replaced lightbulbs with LEDs. This audit allowed us to apply for and receive grants from GIPL
- Exploring installation of EV Chargers, composting and catering protocols
Temple Emanu-El is committed to making our synagogue and our local community environmentally responsible. Please join us in our efforts. We need your ideas and your talents!
- Bnei Mitzvah